Monday, January 30, 2006

 

Another Desperate Bicycles post...

I just stumbled onto this old debate about people posting Desperate Bicycles tracks despite the band's desire not to reissue any of their music. Perhaps I'm naive, but once a band releases a record, the music is out there in the ether...Whether or not the band wants it heard by people anymore, people can still hear it as it has been released on a format that doesn't quickly self-destruct (unlike perhaps an acetate or something). I'm not sure why the Desperate Bicycles wouldn't want to reissue their music but that's their decision. I just don't see how FANS of the band could complain that people are giving others an opportunity to hear the music! Are these fans denying THEMSELVES the ability to listen to the D.B.'s music!? Of course not! Perhaps the music should only be left for those who can afford to buy records on the collectors market...which just so happens to be diametrically opposed to the philosophy of the band itself, that helped imbue its music with so much power. People SHOULD hear The Desperate Bicycles. This is music just as fresh today as it was nearly THIRTY years ago when it came out. I'm not being nostalgic here; I hadn't heard the band until a few years ago. I'm glad I finally did. Do yourself a favor and check them out here or on soulseek...Here's my original post from my old blog location if anyone's interested.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?